During his run for a first term Barack Obama promised to be president for both Red and Blue states, inferring he would represent the interests of all Americans. This turned out to be perhaps the biggest lie of his many failed campaign promises. Instead, Obama has proven to be the most partisan president in modern history.
As president, Obama is the leader of the Left and its Democratic Party. The nasty rhetoric directed against any that dare to disagree has emanated from both since, which is not only hypocritical, but has divided the Country along lines that will be difficult to heal.
The Independent Journal Review has posted the 20 Most Divisive Democrat Quotes of the Obama Era listed below. Any of these attacks individually could be excused or explained away as part of the heat of battle and politics. Viewed as a group they indicate a calculated and planned narrative by the Left designed to demean and marginalize any who disagree with their Progressive views. This presents a clear danger to our democracy.
Narrative #1: Republicans don’t Want Americans to Have Access to Healthcare
1. President Barack Obama – “The one unifying principle in the Republican Party At the moment is making sure that 30 million people don’t have health care. Why is it that my friends in the other party have made the idea of preventing these people from getting health care their holy grail? Their number one priority?” – Translation – Republicans want people to not have access to healthcare. Ludicrous on its face.
2. Rep. Alan Grayson (D – FL) – “If you get sick, America, the Republican health care plan is this: Die quickly. That’s right, the Republicans want you to die quickly if you get sick.” – Translation – Republicans want to kill sick people. No further comment required.
Narrative #2: Calling Opponents Racists
3. Rep. Steve Cohen (D – TN) – “They say it’s a government takeover of health care, a big lie just like Goebbels. You say it enough, you repeat the lie, you repeat the lie, and eventually, people believe it. Like blood libel. That’s the same kind of thing.” – Translation – Republicans are somehow related to Nazis. Shame on Mr. Cohen.
4. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid – Reid on GOP opposition to ObamaCare: “You think you’ve heard these same excuses before? You’re right. In this country there were those who dug in their heels and said, ‘Slow down, it’s too early. Let’s wait. Things aren’t bad enough.’ — about slavery.” – Translation – Republicans are obstructionists. However, Reid recently stated on NPR that ObamaCare is a ‘train wreck’. Given that the President himself has slowed down its implementation proves the Republicans right in the first place.
5. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid – “Here we are seven months into [Obama’s] second term and nothing has changed. It’s been obvious they (Republicans) are doing everything they can to make him fail. And I hope, I hope, and I say this seriously, it’s based on substance and not the fact that he’s an African American.” – Translation – Again, Republicans are racists, a claim that is ludicrous on its face. Using Reid’s lame logic Republicans were anti-white when they controlled Congress and impeached Bill Clinton.
6. Vice President Joe Biden – “(Romney) is going to let the big banks once again write their own rules, unchain Wall Street. He is going to put y’all back in chains.” – Translation – Republicans are racists, a claim that is ludicrous on its face.
7. Rep. Charlie Rangel (D – NY) – “It is the same group (Tea Party) we faced in the South with those white crackers and the dogs and the police.” – Translation – The Tea Party is racist, a claim that is ludicrous on its face.
8. Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D – TX) – “I stand here as a freed slave because this Congress came together.” – Translation – The then Democrat-controlled Congress freed the slaves. Yikes, she’s off by only 150 years and seems to forget that at the time slaves were freed the Democrats represented the slaveholders of the South.
9. Former DNC Chair Howard Dean – “White folks in the South who drive pickup trucks with Confederate flag decals on the back ought to be voting with us.” – Translation – This one is unintelligible, but it seems to have something to do with race.
10. Former Democrat Party Presidential Candidate Jesse Jackson – “The Tea Party is a new name on an old game … Dr. King fought a ‘tea party’ in Alabama.” – Translation – Tea Partiers are racists. This is clearly become a talking point of the Left, again designed to shut down legitimate debate on policies.
11. Attorney General Eric Holder – “When you compare what people endured in the South in the 60s to try to get the right to vote for African Americans, and to compare what people were subjected to there to what happened in Philadelphia [the Black Panther voter intimidation case] – which was inappropriate, certainly that … to describe it in those terms, I think does a great disservice to people who put their lives on the line, who risked all, for my people.” – Translation – Voter intimidation is not defined by the act, but who is in power at the Justice Department to enforce laws.
Narrative #3: Demonizing Opponents
12. President Barack Obama – “It’s not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.” – Translation – Republicans are bunch of redneck hillbillies with inferior IQs. This type of mudslinging is typically used by the Left to avoid having to have legitimate debate on policies. –
13. Rep. Frederica Wilson (D – FL) – “Let us all remember who the real enemy is. The real enemy is the Tea Party… the Tea Party holds the Congress hostage.” – Translation – People with opposing political views are the enemy in need of destruction. Now there’s an effort in bipartisanship!
14. DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz – “I don’t see any swastikas or any pictures of the President in black face or burned in effigy here. The difference between the way we express our First Amendment rights and the way I’ve seen Tea Party extremists – Republican Tea Party extremists – express their right is dramatically different.” – Translation – Republicans who happen to disagree with Leftist policies are racists and Nazis. Once again a Democrat, this time the Democratic National Committee Chair, uses mean-spirited rhetoric in an effort to shut down legitimate debate.
15. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid – “His poor father must be so embarrassed about his son.” (Reid is referring to Mitt Romney’s deceased father George Romney.) – Translation – A successful businessman who does not agree with Leftist policies is defined as an embarrassment. More of the Democrat’s use of class warfare
16. Stephanie Cutter (Obama Spokesperson) – “The entire reason that [Benghazi] has become the political topic it is, is because of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. It’s a big part of their stump speech. And it’s reckless and irresponsible.” – Translation – Do not question your government or its efficacy. Whatever the Obama administration does is correct even if four Americans are killed in the process.
17. Rep. Maxine Waters (D – CA) – “This is a tough game. You can’t be intimidated. You can’t be frightened. And as far as I’m concerned — the Tea Party can go straight to hell.” – Translation – Those who disagree with Leftist politics “can go straight to hell”.
18. Rep. Charlie Rangel (D – NY) – “What is happening is sabotage. Terrorists couldn’t do a better job than the Republicans are doing.” – Translation – Republicans are terrorists because they dare to disagree with Leftist political positions.
19. Former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D – CA) – “What they want is a continuation of the failed economic policies of President George Bush which got us in the situation we are in now. What we want is a new direction. … This [Tea Party] initiative is funded by the high end — we call call it astroturf, it’s not really a grassroots movement. It’s astroturf by some of the wealthiest people in America to keep the focus on tax cuts for the rich instead of for the great middle class.” – Translation – Only rich people are concerned with inefficient government and increasing taxes. Hmmmmmm.
20. President Barack Obama – “No, no, no, Don’t boo. Vote. Voting is the best revenge.” (Fall, 2012) – Translation – Those that disagree with the president’s policies are enemies that need to be crushed.