Archive for the ‘News Media’ Category
Posted by Steve Markowitz on June 5, 2011
Vivian Schiller has been the subject of this Blog’s previous postings including NPR’s President Vivian Schiller Resigns posted March 9, 2011. Her forced resignation from NPR came after she was caught on tape attacking Republicans and conservatives in her fundraising efforts on behalf of the network. Last fall she also was involved with the controversial firing of NPR commentator Juan Williams after his comments about Muslims on airplanes.
NBC News on Thursday rewarded Ms. Schiller, hiring her for a new role of overseeing its news unit’s digital strategy, which includes the website and mobile devices business. Given NBC’s radical Leftist bias over the years, the recycling of Ms. Schiller is of little surprise.
NBC’s ratings have been heading south for years, in part because of its Leftist bent. Ms. Schilling will therefore not help improve its ratings and her hiring at NBC must have the folks at Fox News sharing some high-fives.
Posted in News Media | Tagged: Fox News, Juan Williams, Leftists, NBC, NPR, Radical Left, Vivian Schiller | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on April 21, 2011
The New York Times put out one if its “Breaking News Alerts” today proclaiming that their poll showed “few favorites as Republican fight for president gels”. With well over a year until Republicans gather to choose a candidate it is odd that the Times makes this a breaking story. Raising non-issues to this high level allows the Times to keep their headlines away from the failings of a president they so strongly support.
Irrespective of the Times’ view, the Republicans will ultimately choose a candidate to run for the presidency. While the strength of that candidate remains to be seen, he or she will be running against an unpopular president who has fulfilled few of his campaign promises and is alienating his Left-wing base.
Posted in News Media | Tagged: Bias, New York Times, Obama, Primaries, Republicans | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on December 20, 2010
Jim Mahoney sent in a story today that, as he said, is “Another example of how out of touch NPR is from the average American”. In the video, Ms. Totenberg first states that she attended a Christmas party and then apologizes for either using the word “Christmas” or attending the party.
Progressives seem to believe that using a descriptive word for a holiday is somehow offensive to those that might not be Christians. How childish. Ms. Totenberg, what is offensive is you and your Progressive friends’ attempts to revise reality through politically correct word games. And NPR had the gall to fire Juan Williams for saying what was on his mind. These Progressives would make Nazi Joseph Goebbels proud.
Nina Totenberg Apologizes For Saying “Christmas”
Posted in News Media, NPR, Political Correctness | Tagged: Christmas, Nina Totenberg, NPR | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on November 3, 2010
On election eve, Leftie MSNBC newscaster Chris Matthews lost it once again. While interviewing Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, Republican from Minnesota, Matthews asked Bachman if she was “hypnotized” or under a “trance.” Why the unprofessional questions from Matthews? Because this Conservative female politician did not answer a Matthew’s question designed to trip up the Congresswoman. Imagine that; a politician that sidesteps a reporter’s question. That’s about as unusual as the sun rising each morning.
During Matthew’s ridiculous assertions, you can hear his fellow commentators giggling like teenage girls in the background. Then Bachman retorted: we’re out of this “nightmare” and “we’re thrilled,” ending with “I think people are thrilling tonight, I imagine that thrill is maybe not quite so tingly on your leg anymore, I’m not sure anymore.”
Bachman’s closing comments were enough to send Matthews in to a further rant after the interview when he defensively said “I never used that word” and called Bachmann a “moron”. OK Mr. Matthews, here is your famous quote about Obama made during the presidential campaign:
“I have to tell you, you know, it’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often.”
So you didn’t use “that word”? That’s a stretch at best.
Finally, calling a Congresswoman a “moron” is about as unprofessional gets and you should be terminated for it. But it does tell the story of the Radical Left. Those that disagree with you are demonized and diminished by character assassination. We will leave it to the readers to determine who has the intellect issues.
Posted in Chris Matthews, News Media | Tagged: Chris Matthews, hypnotized, Michele Bachmann, Minnesota, moron, MSNBC, Radical Left, Republicans, Thrill, trance | 2 Comments »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on October 25, 2010
NPR President Vivian Schiller offered a half-hearted apology for the Juan Williams firing in a Sunday interview with Politico. The firing was the subject of this Blog’s posting on October 22 titled After the Firing, NPR Slanders Juan Williams.
While Ms. Schiller stood by her original decision behind the Williams firing, she apologized for the precipitous way it was carried out stating:
“I regret that we did not take the time to prepare our program partners and provide you with the tools to cope with the fallout from this episode…the process that followed the decision was unfortunate – including not meeting with Juan Williams in person – and I take full responsibility for that.”
OK Ms. Schiller; you blew it and the network you work for will suffer in stature and in donations for years to come. For making such an egregious error you should resign immediately for the good of the network that pays your salary. Should you not resign, it is the duty of the NPR Board of Directors to remove you. Should they not do their duty, the entire Board needs to be removed.
Posted in News Media, NPR | Tagged: Apology, Juan Williams, National Public Radio, NPR, Vivian Schiller | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on October 22, 2010
Earlier this week NPR fired veteran commentary Juan Williams for expressing a personal feeling when boards an airplane. But, there had to be more to the firing than that. Liberal Williams was undoubtedly punished and made an example of by the Leftist NPR for having the audacity of also working for Fox News as a commentator.
The flack over the Williams firing continues. Yesterday, NPR CEO Vivian Shiller had the gall to suggest that Juan Williams has some mental disorder (video below). Besides an outrageous claim given Williams credentials, Ms. Shiller has opened up NPR to liability to the ex-employee. Should Mr. Williams really have some mental issues that NPR was aware of, his firing could fall within a claim under the ADA (Americans with Disability Act). On the other hand, should Williams not have the mental issues as suggested by Ms. Shiller, then she has opened NPR up to a claim of Libel. For this incompetence, MS. Shiller should be fired immediately.
There is a deeper issue here that needs to come out of the closet. The radical Left reserves special virtual for women and people of color who dare to question Progressive and politically correct positions. Mr. Williams was lynched by the same folks that lynched Clarance Thomas. These are the same folks that call conservative women bimbos. How unprofessional; how un-“progressive”.
Posted in News Media, NPR | Tagged: ADA, airplane, Americans With Disability Act, Clarence Thomas, Juan Williams, left, NPR, Vivian Shiller | 2 Comments »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on October 1, 2010
MSNBC’s Chris Matthews is showing signs of cracking under the frustration felt by many on the Left as they watch their Progressive dreams vanish with the sinking fortunes of Barack Obama and his allies in Congress. Mathews is host of MSNBC’s Hardball. While he attempts to masquerade as a serious journalist, he is nothing more than a cheerleader for President Obama.
Matthews came out of the closet for Obama during the campaign when he remarkably admitted on the air: “I have to tell you, you know, it’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often.”
Well, last Tuesday on Hardball Matthews went berserk. While the full text is included below, some of Matthews’ and guest comments deserve special recognition.
- MATTHEWS – “ ….with some high thinking, I think, Republicans voting for you, because they wanted to vote for you as a person.” Let see, if you vote for Obama, you are “high thinking”. If not, you are stupid, Matthews implies. Typical Liberal dribble.
- MATTHEWS – “ ….. a Congress where it takes 60 votes to get anything done, so you need a very strong center-left coalition to get anything done.” Now here’s an excuse for Obama’s failure. But it is a lame one at best. Reagan and Clinton never had a 60-seat majority and they accomplished plenty!
- JOSH MARSHALL – “The hope for this president and the hope for the Democratic Party is that these, these reforms that they’ve put in place, health care reform and financial reform especially, as well as the stimulus, those three things really would make life better for American people in a palpable way. Frankly they haven’t yet”. Someone ought to tell these folks that hope is not a strategy. It takes workable plans and policies to achieve results.
- WALSH – “That we’ve compromised too much with the corporations and they s till hold all the cards.” More excuses for failure.
- MATTHEWS – “But I know this, this president has done what we were all taught in graduate school to do, what Progressives have believed in from years and years, decades ago. One, you deal with an economic downfall with Keynesian economics. You compensate for the loss of consumer spending and business investment with government spending. That’s what you do. That’s what you’re supposed to. No one has had a better idea since the 1930s.” Well Chris, the President is no longer in grad school. The real world needs real solutions, not text-book exercises. Had Obama gained some experience managing any large organization he might have understood this reality.
- “…. he’s put people like Eric Holder in at Justice. He’s done a lot of things on the environment, he’s tried to do. He has done what a Progressive should have tried to do. And we can argue about tone and degree of successful politics and personality, but I don’t know how a liberal or Progressive can turn their back on this guy and say they’ve got something better waiting in the closet, ’cause I don’t know who that person is!” Chris, here you go again, placing style over substance. Starting with Eric Holder, besides declaring war on Arizona, what has he accomplished? This same guy who attacked the CIA during the Bush Administration for water-boarding, but sees no problem with his boss lobbing missile into Pakistan without given those on the receiving end a trial. As for the environment, Obama has had the worst oil disaster in this country’s history under his watch.
- MATTHEWS – “Anyway, there ain’t nobody out there but this guy, and certainly nobody no more Progressive who can win election for sheriff.” Come on Chris, you are treating this guy like a cult leader. Grow up!
- MATTHEWS – “Look the bad guys are gaining, yes. It’s time to hit the metal and drive the freaking car!” Nothing further needs to be said about Matthews’ objectivity!
The day Matthews made his strange comments, a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll came out with numbers that may help explain Matthews’ unprofessional rant. It showed 54 percent of respondents wanting to see the repeal of Obama’s healthcare reform. In addition, it found that 42 percent believe that the Tea Party movement has “been a good thing”, more than twice that see it as a “bad thing.”
Some advice for Chris Matthews from some of his fellow Progressives: stop your whining. And now some added advice from this Blogger: grow up!
Posted in Chris Matthews, News Media, Progressives | Tagged: Chris Matthews, Hardball, MSNBC, Obama, Progressive, Tea Party | 1 Comment »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on November 29, 2009
My friend and contributor to this Blog, Jim Mahoney, forwarded me Katie Couric’s latest example of what masquerades for journalism. Ms. Couric recently attended a White House State Dinner that has become infamous not for its accomplishments, but for the party crashers Tareq and Michaele Salahi. Ms. Couric’s “reporting” Tweet follows:
- My recap of state dinner: Lots of saris, beautiful orchids, Mrs. O looked amazing! Seemed 2 ft taller than wife of India PM.
- Prez looked tired from China, tablecloths were deep celadon, lots of dresses in sea foam green for whatever reason…
- Jennifer Hudson was spectacular…she sang somewhere – wish I could sing like her, she’s sick!
- They had Indian dancers and the AR Rahman (composer, musician) sang Jai Ho from Slumdog millionaire, which he wrote.
- Kurt Elling from Chicago…NSO performed…my favorite number was the theme from Candide from the national symphony orchestra (bernstein)
- Met and chatted w state dinner crashers who were incredibly friendly and seemed so comfortable… Shld they be charged? what do u think?
Wow; …… that’s heavy! Read the rest of this entry »
Posted in News Media, Press | Tagged: Bimbo, CBS Nightly News, Chris Matthews, Hardball, Jim Mahoney, Journalism, Katie Couric, Lamestream Media, Mainsteam Media, Michelle Obama, MSNBC, Sarah Palin, State Dinner, Tareq and Michaele Salahi, Tweet, Twit, White House | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on November 24, 2009
Barrack Obama is an enigma to many who believe America is a great country. Here is a man who was the son of an immigrant father from Africa and a broken family of average means. Still, he was able to attend America’s finest schools and ultimately became president of the United States. His Cinderella success conflicts with the President’s message that so often apologizes for America’s sins.
In trying to reconcile the conflict between Obama’s success and his Leftist views, I look to his past for answers. Yet, little history has been publicized about the man’s past with the exception of the President’s own writings. The so-called “independent press” has done little to research the man and his upbringing so we are forced to create conclusions based on information from less formidable sources. Where are the interviews of his relatives? Where are the interviews with classmates? Where is the research as to whether he attended classes while in collage? The questions are many, the answers are few.
An email is circulating with comments from fellow Columbia graduate, Wayne Allyn Root, who was also a Political Science major at the University and graduated during the same year as Obama. I post the entire email below. Root claims that neither he nor his classmates knew of Obama at Columbia. Similar stories have gained traction because of the lack of follow-up by the press. To study Root’s claim I went to the Left-leaning mediamattersaction.org for its fact checking. Their response, posted below, answers few questions and in fact offers credibility to Root’s claims. The following statements come from MediaMatters website: Read the rest of this entry »
Posted in News Media, President Obama | Tagged: Africa, Barrack Obama, Columbia University, Immigrant, Leftists, mediamattersaction.org, Michael Baron, Press, Transparency, Wayne Allyn Root | Leave a Comment »