Posted by Steve Markowitz on December 13, 2012
On Monday morning, GE CEO, Jeffrey Immelt was being interviewed on CBS by Charlie Rose. During a discussion included in the video below, Immelt said:
“Look, I think it’s good for China. To a certain extent, Charlie, 11 to 12 percent is unsustainable. You end up getting too much stimulus or a misallocation of resources. They are much better off working on a more consumer-based economy, less dependent on exports, driving technology and innovation harder. Really, the one thing that actually works, state run communism may not be your cup of tea, but their government works.”
How ludicrous a statement. First Immelt criticizes China for the handling of its economy and then concludes: “… state run communism may not be your cup of tea, but their government work.”
The relationship Jeffrey Immelt has with Barack Obama is yet another indication of the corruption of Washington and the crony capitalism that has remained under this Administration. Obama continually chides the wealthy for not paying their fair share. At the same time he appoints Immelt, the head of one of America’s wealthiest corporations, GE, who by the way in in 2011 did not pay one penny in America income tax, as his jobs czar.
Posted in Czars | Tagged: Crony Capitalism, Jeffrey Immelt, Jobs czar, Obama, State run communism, Washington | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on October 12, 2009
The Obama Administration has extensively used what is referred to as “Czars” to help manage various aspects of the government. The advantage for the President of the Czars is that they do not have to be approved by Congress or report to congressional committees. This is a convenient way for the President to appoint people into positions of power without having congressional oversight.
One of the positions amongst the approximately three dozen Czars that Obama has appointed is the “Pay Czar”. Currently, this position is held by Kenneth Feinberg whose job is to oversee the compensation packages for the most highly paid executives at seven firms. These companies are AIG, Bank of America, Citigroup, General Motors, GMAC Financial, Chrysler, and Chrysler Financial, firms that received government bailout money.
The fact that compensation needs to monitored for high paid executives at companies that that would have failed without the government bailouts indicates the lunacy of our current economy. Had the government not given these companies money we would not be arguing how much to pay their executives. That would have been monitored by the most efficient mechanism available; the market controlled by supply and demand. These failed companies would have either gone out of business or would have cut the pay of all employees, including the executives, until they again become successful. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted in Compensation, Czars | Tagged: AIG, Bank of America, Chrysler, Citigroup, Compensation, Czars, General Motors, GM, GMAC, Kenneth Feinberg, Obama, Pay Czar | 2 Comments »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on September 6, 2009
Three days ago this Blog discussed President Obama’s “Green Jobs” Czar, Anthony Van Jones, listing his radical background that should have excluded him from serving in our government. Yesterday, Van Jones resigned and his parting words are telling.
“On the eve of historic fights for health care and clean energy, opponents of reform have mounted a vicious smear campaign against me” …. “They are using lies and distortions to distract and divide.”
One of the controversies surrounding Van Jones was his signing a petition in 2004 from a radical group that called for “immediate inquiry into evidence that suggests high-level government officials may have deliberately allowed the September 11 attacks to occur.” Mr. Van Jones, there is no smear campaign here. You are a left-wing nut who claimed the Bush Administration was involved in the 9/11 massacre. You are not fit to serve in government, period! The only smear campaign here are your words and an Administration who chastises any who dares to question their policies and practices.
While the Van Jones resignation is a good thing, this episode raises deeper issues.
- When the Obama Administration was asked by CNN how Van Jones with his nasty background got appointed to the Czar position, their answer was that they did not carefully review the language on the petition. That is clearly not believable. The van Jones record is very long and quite public.
- Why does the President Obama have so many connections with radicals like Van Jones? He is added to a list that includes Reverend Wright, William Ayers, Father Pfleger and others.
- Why does President Obama need so many Czars?
- Why has the Obama Administration circumvented the Senatorial approval process for Cabinet members by appointing Czars that require no such approval? Clearly, Van Jones with his radical background could not have passed any reasonable scrutiny.
- Why does it take public outrage before President Obama will disassociate himself with radicals?
When the Reverend Wright saga became public, President Obama outrageously compared Wright to his grandmother, using that comparison as an excuse for not disassociating himself from the racist pastor. Then, only later when Reverend Wright became a political liability, did Obama throw him under the bus. The Van Jones saga takes a similar path. The White House knew about Van Jones’s radical past long before the resignation. Obviously the transparency Obama promised during the presidential campaign were words designed to win an election, not govern his Administration.
Posted in Czars, President Obama | Tagged: Anthony Van Jones, Green Jobs Czar, Obama, Pator Wright, Radicals, Van Jones | 2 Comments »
Posted by Steve Markowitz on September 3, 2009
President Obama has appointed over 30 independent advisers known as “Czars”. Why the need for these Czars? Isn’t that what the Cabinet positions are for? However, unlike Cabinet members, Czars are not subject to Congressional approval.
Since Czars do not require Congressional approval, their vetting is totally in the White House’s prevue and this is coming back to haunt President Obama. “Green Jobs” Czar, Anthony Van Jones, has baggage that would not have passed Congressional scrutiny that includes:
- Jones was arrested following the Rodney King verdict. During his jail term, according to Van Jones, “I met all these young radical people of color – I mean really radical, communists and anarchists. And it was like, ‘This is what I need to be a part of,'” (2005 East Bay Express interview.)
- Also in the East Bay Express interview, Van Jones indicated that after jail, he stayed in San Francisco and for 10 years worked with many people he met in jail. He also indicated: “I was a communist.”
- Van Jones became associated with a group called “Standing Together to Organize a Revolutionary Movement ” (STORM), committed to Marxist and Leninist ideas.
- Van Jones became a radical environmentalist and has pointed the finger at “white polluters and the white environmentalists” for “steering poison” to minority communities.
- After the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Centers, Van Jones joined the “911 truther” movement that placed blame for the 9/11 attacks on the Bush administration.
Van Jones was more recently caught on tape publicly called Republicans “assholes”. So much for the President’s call for bipartisanship. After getting caught, Van Jones apologized for his remarks and stated “that they do not reflect the views of this administration”.
President Obama’s appointment of Van Jones offers two possibilities. Either the President did not properly vet Van Jones or he agrees with Van Jones’ views. If this was indeed a mistake, then the President should immediately fire Van Jones. But the President remains silent.
Read the rest of this entry »
Posted in Czars, Politics | Tagged: Anarchists, Anthony Van Jones, Ayers, Communist, Czars, FCC Diversity Czar, Fleger, Green Jobs, Green Jobs Czar, Mark Loyd, Obama, Pastor Wright, President Obama, STORM, Weather Underground, Wright | Leave a Comment »