Obama’s old Senate seat has been the subject of Rod Blagojevich’s trial in which the ex-governor is accused of trying to sell the seat. The seat is currently occupied by Roland Burris, who is also tainted with ethics issue, which is why he is not running in the November election. Keeping things Chicago-style, the Democrats then nominated the 34-year old Giannoulias, the State’s Treasurer. Here’s Giannoulias’s pedigree and association with Obama:
- Giannoulias and Obama met playing basketball and then introduced Obama to his family’s money. Obama later said these funds were “critical” to his 2004 Senate victory.
- In 2006, although with no political experience, Obama stumped for Giannoulias and called him “one of the most outstanding young men that I could ever hope to meet.” Giannoulias won the election.
- Prior to entering politics, Giannoulias worked for the family owned business, Broadway Bank, which loaned millions to Michael Giorango, a convicted bookmaker, as well as other crime figures, with some of these loans being made when Giannoulias was the senior loan officer.
- Federal regulators seized Broadway Bank, which failed because of Giannoulias’ lending practices in real estate.
- Giannoulias raised funds for the Obama presidential campaign, including family donations.
- Giannoulias is accused of mismanaging the Illinois’ college savings program.
- Giannoulias’ brother Demetris was promoted for a state board position by convicted Obama fund-raiser Tony Rezko. He was then appointed after Giannoulias’ father gave $10,000 to the Blagojevich campaign.
With all of this it is disingenuous for President Obama to travel to Chicago on August 5 and campaign for this “fat cat banker“, while at the same time calling for financial reforms on Wall Street. This double-dealing is not unusual for Chicago politicians. Well, at least Obama isn’t denying his relationship with this dubious character as he did with the terrorist Bill Ayers.
Those that said the Barrack Obama is just another politician were off the mark. He is just another Chicago politician. As they say, vote early and vote often!